Sunday, November 28, 2010

B's Musical Gumbo 2B Soulful

Beyonce' tells MTV news about her own musical gumbo, stating that she's mixing all the genres of music that she loves together, to create the new sound for her record.  She wants to make music that will allow her to step outside of her comfort zone (or our comfort zones).  She says that she's inspired by all types of genres and that she's not making an R&B, or typical Pop or Rock record.
Photo by: Dennis Van Tine/starmaxinc.com 2010  11/22/10 Beyonce Knowles at the launch of The Lorraine Schwartz 2BHAPPY Jewelry Collection. (NYC) Photo via Newscom

To give this gumbo just the right flavor she's looking toward old soul's for inspiration and a little bit of Broadway, too.  She tells MTV News that she's getting inspiration from: Fela Kuti, the Stylistics, Lauyrn Hill, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson's, Off The Wall, she says she's kind of mixing all those things together.  Sounds like some good Gumbo Soul to me.

B' to MTV (On New Album):
"Well, I wouldn't say I'm inventing a new genre. I'm mixing every type of genre that I love and I'm inspired by every type of genre. I'm not in a box. It's not R&B. It's not typically pop. It's not rock. It's just everything I love all mixed together in my own little gumbo of music."
--Princess Carter
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment