Monday, July 25, 2011

Beyonce' Talks To PrideSource


Queen B gives an exclusive interview to PrideSource, her first gay press interview in over five years. In the interview B talks about the influence her gay fans have on her art, A Star is Born and her music evolution. She also talks her admiration for fellow pop star, Lady Gaga. Below are a few excerpts:

When did you feel a real connection with your gay fans?
I've always had a connection. Most of my audience is actually women and my gay fans, and I've seen a lot of the younger boys kind of grow up to my music. It's great when I'm able to do the meet and greets, because I'm able to really connect and have conversations. People look at some of the artists that I admire - like Diana Ross and Cher - and they identity that glamour with Sasha Fierce, and I've been really inspired by the language. I have my (gay) stylists and my makeup artist, and all of their stories and the slang words I always put it in my music. We inspire each other. Like I said, we're one.
What do gay people tell you when you meet them?
I have so many stories; I don't even know where to begin. I know that I just recently had a contest where I had everyone reenact my artwork on Twitter. Just seeing some of the guys who dressed up - like my hairstylist dressed up as Sasha Fierce from "Single Ladies" for Halloween, and I saw so many people dressed up in that glove and bodysuit - really makes me feel like I'm doing my job and some of the fashion is making its mark. To know that people can be free and confident and do what they want themselves, and I can be the person they want to look like (laughs), it's really such a blessing for me, and it's very inspiring. I'm very happy and proud of that.

For your upcoming role in the remake of "A Star Is Born," you'll be part of a lineage of gay icons including Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand. How does it feel knowing that? Is it intimidating?
I'm slightly a bit intimated, I have to say. I feel a bit overwhelmed, and I'm still in shock. (Laughs) But the studio and Clint (Eastwood, the director) believe in me, and I feel like I've been really selective and I've waited and worked really hard and I've done different types of movies - from comedies to thrillers to drama when I played Etta James - and I really wanted to make sure I was ready. I do believe that at this point I am ready and I've been disciplined and I've surrounded myself with really good actors. I hope this is going to be as wonderful of an experience as I feel it's going to be.
I just remember growing up seeing Barbra Streisand and knowing that she represented that generation's star, and being an African-American woman and being the person that's represented is such an honor. I respect it and I cherish it and I'm going to work so hard - harder than I've ever worked - to make sure that I live up to filling the shoes of those other women.

That's what I love about this album - you did what you wanted to do. Through that, you've taught gay fans how to stay true to themselves. What have you learned from them, though?
If anyone is brave and true to themselves, it's my gay fans. The amount of confidence and fearlessness it takes to do what maybe is not what your parents expect you to do or what society may think is different - to be brave and be different and be to yourself - is just so beautiful. It's the most beautiful thing you can be, and it's what we all want to be at the end of the day. And not worrying about satisfying or becoming what other people think you're supposed to be, that's like the ultimate dream - to just be that brave.
Head over to PrideSource.com to read the rest of the interview: PrideSource.com/Beyonce'Interview

--Princess Carter
Credit: PrideSource.com

No comments:

Post a Comment